s-evo.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Tuning FAQ

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
TouringBubble

TouringBubble

Male Number of posts : 1384
Drives : GG IX MR SE
Registration date : 2007-07-09

Tuning FAQ Empty
PostSubject: Tuning FAQ   Tuning FAQ EmptyWed Feb 27, 2008 10:55 am

So I'm putting this nifty FAQ feature on the Project Tuning site ... the thing is that I could write and write questions and answers all day, but that might not answer the questions that you all might have. So, I'm starting this thread to take questions about the tuning/flashing/logging process and I'll transfer the information here to the FAQ section of the Project Tuning site.

I'll go ahead and start with a few questions and answers ...

------------------------------------------

Q: How can a tune affect my car's performance?

A: EFI (Electronic Fuel Injection) tuning, at the most basic level, is the process of optimizing your engine's settings via adjustments to the car's ECU (Engine Control Unit). Optimizing things such as the fuel mix, spark timing, cam timing and boost can extract horsepower locked within the conservative factory settings.

Also, some aftermarket parts require ECU adjustments to function properly. This especially applies to fuel system components, such as injectors, pressure regulators and pumps. Without proper tuning, these parts can actually have a negative affect on the vehicle's performance and basic drivability.

Q: I just installed a (insert aftermarket part here) on my car. Do I need a tune?

A: Generally, "bolt on" aftermarket parts don't require a tune to function properly. However, tuning specifically for aftermarket parts can extract potential horsepower that would go unrealized on a factory tuned vehicle. Parts that generally do not require a tune include exhaust components, intercooler cores and piping and intake filters.

Some aftermarket parts do require tuning to function properly. This includes components of the fuel system and sometimes components of the intake system. Parts that usually require tuning include injectors, fuel pumps, fuel pressure regulators, turbo inlet pipes, turbos, boost controllers and wastegate actuators.

If you've installed an aftermarket part and aren't sure if you need a tune, feel free to contact us and we can address your specific vehicle and setup.

Q. How does the remote tuning process work?

A: A remote tune is just like a road tune, except the logs and ECU ROMs are shared via e-mail.

You take your car out and log a few pulls as instructed and then e-mail those log files to us. We then review the logs and make adjustments to your ROM and e-mail it to you. You then load the new ROM to your ECU and log more pulls. This process is repeated as many times as necessary until the tune is complete.

Q. What do I need to get a remote tune?

A: You need ...
1) A laptop computer
2) An OpenPort OBDII cable and any required plugs/adapters for your vehicle. You can find them here or here.
3) ECUFlash
4) Logging software, such as EvoScan, Mitsulogger (you must register to download) or LogWorks.
5) An open stretch of asphalt with no traffic or pedestrians for logging.

Q.What is the difference between road tuning and dyno tuning?

A: There are a few difference between road tuning and dyno tuning and both have benefits and weaknesses.

Road tuning is performed on an open stretch of highway, private runway, etc. Basically, you can road tune a vehicle anywhere that has enough open space to take 3rd gear in your car from about 2000 RPM to redline (likely about 85 MPH).

Benefits:
1) The vehicle will be driven on the road and it is beneficial to tune it for the inconsistencies that exist there.
2) There is usually no extra fee associated with use of the road.
3) You can log/tune at any time ... on your commute to work, after dinner, 3 a.m., etc.

Drawbacks:
1) It's sometimes difficult to find a safe area to log your vehicle.
2) There is always the chance of getting in to an accident or getting a speeding ticket while logging.
3) Inconsistencies in terrain can sometimes hamper tuning efforts.
4) Calculating horsepower and torque gives inconsistent results if terrain is inconsistent.

Dyno tuning is performed using a machine called a dynamometer. Some tuning shops invest in these machines for added safety, accessibility and consistency while tuning.

Benefits:
1) Controlled environment. Very little chance of an accident, ticket, etc.
2) Dynos give solid horsepower and torque numbers that can be used to validate tuning efforts.
3) Dynos generally allow you to tune faster.

Drawbacks:
1) Dyno time is expensive.
2) Not all dynos provide sufficient load on the engine and may leave you with an unsafe tune on the street.
3) Limited to work hours of the performance shop.

It is Project Tuning's policy to verify dyno tunes on the street to ensure that the vehicle is knock free in real-world driving situations.

Q. Why is it recommended to tune your car for its supporting mods?

A: There are several reasons to have your vehicle tuned ...
1) Tuning can extract more horsepower from your vehicle. Who doesn't want more horsepower, right?
2) A proper tune can actually help increase the life span of your engine. It is not uncommon for a factory tuned vehicle to experience "knock" or detonation of the fuel mixture in the combustion chamber. This is significantly more common on untuned modified vehicles. Knock causes excessive wear on the engine's components and can lead to premature failure. A proper, knock-free tune can alleviate this unneeded stress on the engine.
3) Some upgrades absolutely require proper tuning. If you have plans for big power that include changing engine displacement, compression ratios, turbochargers/superchargers or extensive head work, there is a very good chance that your car will not run properly (or at all) without a tune that specifically address your modifications.

Q. I've already been tuned, but I just installed some new aftermarket parts. Do I need to be tuned again?

A: Most likely. Tuning the ECU basically "takes out the slack" in your factory settings and dials everything in specifically for your car, mods, location and climate. Because of these tighter specifications, changing the setup can possibly push the car a little too far and cause knock to occur.

However, this isn't always the case and it's not our goal to sell you a tune you don't really need. If you aren't sure that you need a tune for your new parts, feel free to ask us or send us a log. We can help you determine if a new tune is really needed.

Q. I've heard that I'll need a different tune when the seasons change. Is this true?

A: I hate to say this, but yes and no. You car runs differently in different climates, so a tune for those different climates would be ideal.

However, this is not required for your car to run properly. We take these seasonal changes in to account when we tune your car and leave enough buffer in place so that seasonal changes should not negatively affect the tune. This means that your car will be safe between seasons, but it is nearly impossible to tune a car for full power potential year round even though there are correction algorithms in place to correct for temperature and barometric changes.

If you are interested in a separate tune for different weather conditions, we can build it for you for the standard retuning fee. In this situation, we recommend tuning the vehicle in the actual weather conditions that the secondary tune will be used in.

Q. Some people say that remote flashes are just "base" tunes and aren't specifically for my car. Is this true?

A: This is absolutely not true. A Project Tuning remote tune is completely customized for your car, modifications and climate. We start the tuning process with a base map and then customize that map over several revisions based on logs that you provide. This is the exact same process we use to tune cars in person.

Q. Why is there a price difference between the remote tuning option and the road/dyno tuning option?

A: It simply comes down to time management. Tuning remotely allows us to be very flexible with the tuning schedule and the price reflects that convenience. Both options use the same tuning process and will produce the same results.

Q. If my battery dies, will I lose my tune?

A: No. The ECU does not require power to retain ROM data. We will sometimes even request that you remove the negative terminal from your battery for a few minutes to reset the vales the ECU "learns" while you drive.

Q. Can the dealer remove or overwrite my tune?

A: Technically, yes. If required for a recall or TSB, the dealership will sometimes flash your ECU with recommended ROM updates. However, this is not a common occurrence.

If this happens, you can simply flash your current Project tune back to the ECU.

Q. Will clearing trouble codes affect my tune?

A: No. Diagnostic and trouble codes are not connected to the ROM file and clearing them will not change your tune. However, certain trouble codes can affect the ECU and apply modifiers to the ROM values, effectively changing the way the car runs. This is done to protect the engine in severe situations. Repairing the problem and clearing the codes should restore the ECU values to normal.

Last edited by TouringBubble on Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:35 pm; edited 12 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.projecttuning.com/
robb86
teh african
robb86

Male Number of posts : 900
Drives : 08 GGXGSR

Tuning FAQ Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tuning FAQ   Tuning FAQ EmptyWed Feb 27, 2008 11:17 am

Some simple ones Smile

Q. How does the process work?

(you'll probably have that on your site "I send you this, you tell me this, yadda yadda")

Q. What do I need to get tuned?

Q. Road tuning vs. Dyno Tuning?

Q. Why is it recommended to tune your car for its supporting mods?

Q. Which mods generally demand for a new tune?
Back to top Go down
TouringBubble

TouringBubble

Tuning FAQ Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tuning FAQ   Tuning FAQ EmptyWed Feb 27, 2008 11:31 am

Thanks Robb .. those are great questions. I beat you to the last one though ...
Back to top Go down
TouringBubble

TouringBubble

Tuning FAQ Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tuning FAQ   Tuning FAQ EmptyTue Mar 11, 2008 5:49 pm

Added a couple more questions and answers ...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Tuning FAQ Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tuning FAQ   Tuning FAQ Empty

Back to top Go down

Tuning FAQ
Page 1 of 1