s-evo.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

How to change brake pads rear and front

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Trekster

Trekster

Number of posts : 555
Drives : my car
Registration date : 2007-07-09

How to change brake pads rear and front Empty
PostSubject: How to change brake pads rear and front   How to change brake pads rear and front EmptyMon Jul 23, 2007 5:23 pm

This is almost more for me for next time, I can never remember the proper torques, but some of you may find it useful. I just replaced my original rear Brembo rotors (62000 miles) with StopTechs with DS2500 pads. This procedure works for a 2003 Evo VIII.

Rear brake pad and rotor replacement

1. Loosen the lug nuts.
2. Chock the car.
3. Make sure the parking brake is off. The parking brake shoes react to the inner portion of the brake rotor. The brake needs to be off to get the rotor off. The car must be on a level surface.
4. Jack the car.
5. Install a jack stand.
6. Remove the wheel.
7. Clean of the caliper.
8. Remove the two pins that hold the pads in. I recommend that you put a towel over the spring that holds the pads in to prevent it from hitting you in the face. A nail punch works well for getting the pins out, just be careful of the paint.
9. Spread the pads/pistons.
10. Slide one of the retaining pins back in.
11. Undo the two bolts from the rear of the caliper that hold it in place. Do not remove the brake line unless you are planning on bleeding the system.
12. Remove the caliper and tie it to one of the loops of the spring.
13. Slide the rotor off.
14. Remove the little rubber plug thing from the rotor and install it on the new rotor.
15. Visually inspect everything you can see. If something is wrong, fix it.
16. Slide on the new rotor
17. Slide the caliper back in place. Use the pads on the pin to give you something to hold onto when you spread the pistons.
18. Reinstall the two bolts that hold in the caliper. Torque: 80 lb-in.
19. Remove the pin and one pad. Don’t remove both pads at the same time.
20. Remove shim and knock off the shim from the Brembo pad if you still have that. Both shims are needed to decrease the likelihood of squeeking.
21. Clean both shims.
22. Apply high temp copper anti-seize (or similar) to the back of the replacement pad, the sides and top of the pad (not on the friction material) and each side of the shims.
23. Place the shims back on the bad in the same order that they came off.
24. Slide the pad and shim assembly back into the caliper.
25. Repeat with the other pad for the caliper.
26. Slide the top pin back in most of the way.
27. Apply a little copper anti-seize to the upper and lower mating surface of the spring.
28. Replace the spring and slide both pins all the way in and knock them home with the nail punch
29. Inspect everything.
30. Reinstall the wheel. Tighten lugs to 73-80 lb-in.
31. Repeat for opposite side.
32. Bed in pads and rotors per manufacturers instructions. This step is important to keep squeaking to a minimum.
33. Adjust the brake fluid levels as required.

Source: Evolutionse.com by f86sabre
Back to top Go down
LayinLo

LayinLo

Male Number of posts : 801
Drives : TB VIII
Registration date : 2007-07-09

How to change brake pads rear and front Empty
PostSubject: Re: How to change brake pads rear and front   How to change brake pads rear and front EmptyMon Jul 23, 2007 6:19 pm

I just changed my rear pads. I should have taken pics. Oh well, I guess I will when I do new pads/rotors/lines/fluid.
Back to top Go down

How to change brake pads rear and front
Page 1 of 1