s-evo.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

AMSOIL Brake Fluid ... Thoughts?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
TouringBubble

TouringBubble

Male Number of posts : 1384
Drives : GG IX MR SE
Registration date : 2007-07-09

AMSOIL Brake Fluid ... Thoughts? Empty
PostSubject: AMSOIL Brake Fluid ... Thoughts?   AMSOIL Brake Fluid ... Thoughts? EmptyThu Jan 17, 2008 8:27 pm

Has anyone tried out the new AMSOIL brake fluid? It seems pretty good based on the specs ...

Quote :
AMSOIL Series 600 DOT 4 Racing Brake Fluid has a dry ERBP of 304°C (580°F) and wet ERBP of 210°C (410°F).

These numbers are nice in comparison with the competition ... just under the ratings for Motul RBF 600 and just above the specs for ATE Super Blue/TYP 200.

I can get a good price on the AMSOIL fluid since I'm a preferred customer and I've been planning for new lines and fluid in the next few weeks. Should I go ahead and give it a shot?

I use the car for DD and auto-cross often. I plan on the occasional track day this year as well. I'm getting Gruppe-S lines and Hawk HP+ pads as well ...
Back to top Go down
http://www.projecttuning.com/
LayinLo

LayinLo

Male Number of posts : 801
Drives : TB VIII

PostSubject: Re: AMSOIL Brake Fluid ... Thoughts?   AMSOIL Brake Fluid ... Thoughts? EmptyFri Jan 18, 2008 1:13 pm

I'm thinking of trying it too. Lets do an install day for the lines, pads, fluid, and I'm gonna do rotors as well.
Back to top Go down
TouringBubble

TouringBubble

PostSubject: Re: AMSOIL Brake Fluid ... Thoughts?   AMSOIL Brake Fluid ... Thoughts? EmptyFri Jan 18, 2008 1:38 pm

Sure. I just ordered my lines and am going to order fluids around lunch. You should call my AMSOIL guy and order ...

We can do the installs in my garage if you want.
Back to top Go down
TouringBubble

TouringBubble

PostSubject: Re: AMSOIL Brake Fluid ... Thoughts?   AMSOIL Brake Fluid ... Thoughts? EmptyFri Jan 18, 2008 6:57 pm

Ordered the brake fluid. I got 2 12oz bottles to be sure I had enough. I'm replacing all 4 flex brake lines and the flex clutch line along with the fluid change.

My rep admitted to me that the brake fluid isn't made by AMSOIL. They buy it and brand it AMSOIL. Only one other company sells the same fluid and supposedly they sell it at >$70/bottle. I don't knwo the size of these other bottles or the company that sells it.

It's sounds a little off, but my rep knows his stuff and hasn't steered me (or anyone else) wrong yet. AMSOIL does save a ton of overhead since they don't dump cash in to advertising, so they may just be able to sell it that much cheaper ...

My rep is calling me back Monday before he places the order and I'll see if he can tell me the other company that sells the brake fluid.
Back to top Go down
bomjoon
Post-whore
bomjoon

Male Number of posts : 1873
Drives : your car.

PostSubject: Re: AMSOIL Brake Fluid ... Thoughts?   AMSOIL Brake Fluid ... Thoughts? EmptyFri Jan 18, 2008 9:56 pm

we is gonna do ours (we = sung, me, charlie)

but this weekend is too damn cold and our pads has not arrived yet.
Back to top Go down
LayinLo

LayinLo

PostSubject: Re: AMSOIL Brake Fluid ... Thoughts?   AMSOIL Brake Fluid ... Thoughts? EmptySat Jan 19, 2008 12:29 pm

I'll have to do that soon. Also need to get with Q about the xd-16.
Back to top Go down
TouringBubble

TouringBubble

PostSubject: Re: AMSOIL Brake Fluid ... Thoughts?   AMSOIL Brake Fluid ... Thoughts? EmptyThu Jan 24, 2008 10:15 pm

I got all of my fluids in today ... engine, tranny, x-fer case, diff, brakes. I also got my braided clutch and brake lines. I'm hoping to get some installed this weekend.

Anyone wanna help? I'm gonna need someone to operate the brakes/clutch for bleeding ...
Back to top Go down
LayinLo

LayinLo

PostSubject: Re: AMSOIL Brake Fluid ... Thoughts?   AMSOIL Brake Fluid ... Thoughts? EmptySat Jan 26, 2008 3:27 pm

Dang, I guess I'm in too late on this one?

I gotta work tomorrow, but I would have loved to help you.

I have next Sunday off though......
Back to top Go down
TouringBubble

TouringBubble

PostSubject: Re: AMSOIL Brake Fluid ... Thoughts?   AMSOIL Brake Fluid ... Thoughts? EmptySat Jan 26, 2008 3:55 pm

Q and Cesar are going to help me .. I've got everything I need except for t a 24 mm socket and tubing for my catch can. I might need a 17 mm wrench too .. not sure if there is one in my kit ...

I'll let you guys know how it goes.
Back to top Go down
LayinLo

LayinLo

PostSubject: Re: AMSOIL Brake Fluid ... Thoughts?   AMSOIL Brake Fluid ... Thoughts? EmptySun Jan 27, 2008 1:47 pm

How did it go?
Back to top Go down
TouringBubble

TouringBubble

PostSubject: Re: AMSOIL Brake Fluid ... Thoughts?   AMSOIL Brake Fluid ... Thoughts? EmptyMon Jan 28, 2008 12:10 am

Car is still on jack stands ... We got everything installed and all drivetrain fluids changed. That was easy. The clutch line is a little bit of a pain due to the location of the banjo bolt at the firewall.

The car is still on jack stands because I ran out of brake fluid and still need to bleed my clutch line. We tried to do it first, but the air bubbles in the line were broken up really tiny and we were just wasting fluid bleeding it that way. So, we moved on to the brakes and got them bled.

By the time we'd let the clutch line rest and the air bubbles calm down, I didn't have enough fluid to refill the reservoir. If you've ever bled the clutch, you know why ... you have to fill the brake reservoir to about 3/16" above the full line to fill the clutch reservoir. I didn't have quite enough fluid to reach that far.

I'm ordering another bottle of fluid tomorrow and it should be here tues or wed. Till then I'm driving the Skyline.
Back to top Go down
LayinLo

LayinLo

PostSubject: Re: AMSOIL Brake Fluid ... Thoughts?   AMSOIL Brake Fluid ... Thoughts? EmptyTue Jan 29, 2008 9:54 pm

I like how you casually mention...."till then, I'm driving the skyline..." hehe
Back to top Go down
TouringBubble

TouringBubble

PostSubject: Re: AMSOIL Brake Fluid ... Thoughts?   AMSOIL Brake Fluid ... Thoughts? EmptyTue Jan 29, 2008 10:45 pm

Yeah ... I get to be all cool like Cesar for a few days ... I think it's handy to get to drive the car though. It's like a different world ... driving in traffic is much harder because you don't know where to look for other cars .. it's pretty disorientating. I've got the turn signal down now, but I still often reach to my left for the seatbelt.
Back to top Go down
TouringBubble

TouringBubble

PostSubject: Re: AMSOIL Brake Fluid ... Thoughts?   AMSOIL Brake Fluid ... Thoughts? EmptyMon Feb 04, 2008 10:57 am

Car is reassembled. Everything is working great. It feels like the shifter is a little smoother, but I hadn't driven the car in a week so it could be in my head. Brakes are definitely firmer and the clutch feels mostly the same ... it might give a little more feedback on engagement, but nothing notable.

So, everything but the brake lines is essentially peace of mind with no immediate noticeable performance gains.

Oh, I did have a few shavings in my rear diff, but no large chunks of anything. I'm happy for that.
Back to top Go down
TouringBubble

TouringBubble

PostSubject: Re: AMSOIL Brake Fluid ... Thoughts?   AMSOIL Brake Fluid ... Thoughts? EmptyMon Feb 11, 2008 12:08 pm

Lol ... I got a compliment on my fresh brake fluid yesterday at tech inspection.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: AMSOIL Brake Fluid ... Thoughts?   AMSOIL Brake Fluid ... Thoughts? Empty

Back to top Go down

AMSOIL Brake Fluid ... Thoughts?
Page 1 of 1