s-evo.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

DIY: open air filter heat shield.

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
C-EvoVIII

C-EvoVIII

Male Number of posts : 38
Drives : 03, VIII
Registration date : 2007-07-13

DIY: open air filter heat shield. Empty
PostSubject: DIY: open air filter heat shield.   DIY: open air filter heat shield. EmptySun Aug 26, 2007 8:45 pm

Well, I was bored today....and also broke. as I was looking around in my garage. I noticed that I had a1/3 sheet of aluminum left over from my previous DIY for my turbo 240sx. So I was thinking to self. " Self! what can I do with this??" it says...ur Evo open airfilter can use a heat shield!!. so i went to work, and the result???
DIY: open air filter heat shield. DSC02794

DIY: open air filter heat shield. DSC02793

it was very simple to make. only a few hand tools are needed. ie: sheet metal of some sort ( aluminum is prefered), sheet metal cutter, flat head screwdriver., and card board for template.
and u should have it done in under a hour.
* before u do most of anywork under the hood please disconect the ground wire, u don't want to accidentally pop the air bags.
** do it at your own risk, as I'm not responsible for any damage/s caused to u or ur vehecle.

ok here is how.
1. remove the airfilter from the adapter using the flat head screwdriver.
2. start with the card board and make a template.
3. trace the template on to the sheetmetal.
4. cut it away ( please wear heavy duty glove to protect ur fingers from getting cut from the rough edges of the sheet meatal).
5. prefit and trim until it fits perfectly.

I did not feel any gain in hp, but the air filter used to get hot after a drive, and after I install the heat shield, the filter temp is almost the same as the room temp.
So that have to be good.
I'm making another one soon ( either another heat shield or an entire box) and will do a detail procedure with pics, SOON. C
Back to top Go down
upstatescevo

upstatescevo

Number of posts : 242
Drives : Evo 8
Registration date : 2007-07-09

PostSubject: Re: DIY: open air filter heat shield.   DIY: open air filter heat shield. EmptySun Aug 26, 2007 10:11 pm

man that looks pretty cool i gonna have to try that
Back to top Go down
LayinLo

LayinLo

Male Number of posts : 801
Drives : TB VIII
Registration date : 2007-07-09

PostSubject: Re: DIY: open air filter heat shield.   DIY: open air filter heat shield. EmptyMon Aug 27, 2007 7:24 am

Looks great, C!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: DIY: open air filter heat shield.   DIY: open air filter heat shield. Empty

Back to top Go down

DIY: open air filter heat shield.
Page 1 of 1