s-evo.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

How to upgrade your speakers...

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
LayinLo

LayinLo

Male Number of posts : 801
Drives : TB VIII
Registration date : 2007-07-09

How to upgrade your speakers... Empty
PostSubject: How to upgrade your speakers...   How to upgrade your speakers... EmptyMon Jul 09, 2007 6:32 pm

OK, I see a lot of this and it's a very simple process.

Our cars can be a little loud (especially on the highway) and come equipped with a crappy stereo. If you opted for the SSL, you still got a crappy stereo. Sorry, not trying to step on your toes, but it blows. :rolleyes:

Basic Car Audio upgrade path:
1. ALARM
2. New Headunit
3. New front components
3a. amp to power components
4. New rear coaxials
4a. Did you get a decent 4 channel to power all 4 speakers?
5. Sub, box, and mono amp.
6. Dynomat, Damplifier, Raamat, Fatmat, etc. (This can be done anytime you feel the need)

So which is best?

That's a great question that I, nor anyone else can answer for you.
    You will hear, "Oh, I have MB Quarts and they are the best." Or, "You should get some Focals, they rock!" These posts are biased. Nothing against the member who posted it, but they are only telling you what they think sounds good.

Since you can't answer that for me, how do I pick out some speakers?

Glad you asked. First, find a CD that you are very intimate with. Pick one that you either know by heart or one that contains the type of music you regularly listen to. Now, take your CD and go to some stereo shops in your area. Warning: most of the speakers you will listen to in a store setting are on a different axis than a car's speakers are. Meaning this: You will be listening to them in your car from a different angle. So, move around and hear these speakers from different angles and at different volumes. When you finally find a set that you like, make sure you ask these questions:
    1. Will they fit my car? We have openings that accept up to 6.75".
    2. What amp is powering them? How many watts rms? Is it a 4 channel?
    3. Are there any equalizers or sound processors that are tweaking the sound?
    4. What is the crossover set on?
    5. Can I hear these in a car, preferrably mine?
    If the shop can't let you hear them in a car, thats OK. At least you now have an idea of what type of sound you can expect to hear. You will also find that some speakers that people have not mentioned may sound great to you and fit your price range.

Is that it?

No, now you need to power them with the right amp. Did you find out what amp the stereo shop was using? Good, you paid attention. Is the amp that the shop is using outputting the correct rms wattage for the speakers?

Lets say you listened to everything under the sun and decided you liked the LayinLo Audio 6.5 component set. This particular set recommends 80 - 200 watts rms. Now the amp that was on them was rated at 150 watts rms. Thats good. As a general rule, err on the high side when powering your speakers. Speakers do not like distortion. How do you get distortion? A lot of times people run way too low wattage and turn up the gain. This introduces distortion by sending a signal to the speakers that has the top and bottom of the sound wave cut off. This is known as clipping.

Back to our LayinLo Audio 6.5's, they need 80-200 watts rms. If you only buy an amp that is putting out 50 watts rms on each of the components, you are underpowering them. They will sound ok as long as the gain is set low. But you want volume and clarity, so you turn up the gain and introduce distortion to the speakers. Now you are cruising down the road and have the volume cranked. All of a sudden you hear a funny crinkly sound coming from your speakers. Good job, you have screwed up your new components.

If you err on the high end of your recommended wattage, you can keep the gain set low. Now your speakers and amp are working more efficiently and your brand new component set will really shine.

EDIT: I will be trying to update this a bit more when I have some more time. If you have a question that is not answered, post up, there are many good stereo guys on here. I'm sure we will all be glad to help and will find a way to get your question answered.

If you find something that you feel is wrong. PM me. We will discuss it and make sure that the right info gets posted on the first post. This way, we can keep out the clutter and help some people out.

<I stole this from myself. I wrote this on EvoM.>
Back to top Go down
bomjoon
Post-whore
bomjoon

Male Number of posts : 1873
Drives : your car.

PostSubject: Re: How to upgrade your speakers...   How to upgrade your speakers... EmptyTue Jul 10, 2007 3:58 pm

give me some free competition quality speakers. LOL

i need to upgrade my speakers but im kinda broke. Sad

go fast parts come first. heh~
Back to top Go down
LayinLo

LayinLo

PostSubject: Re: How to upgrade your speakers...   How to upgrade your speakers... EmptyTue Jul 10, 2007 4:02 pm

The Evo is an audio nightmare.

I wouldn't use anything expensive in it unless I just had a lot of money to burn.
Back to top Go down
bomjoon
Post-whore
bomjoon

PostSubject: Re: How to upgrade your speakers...   How to upgrade your speakers... EmptyTue Jul 10, 2007 4:04 pm

i figured i cant hear nothing alll that detailed anyway cuz of my exhaust. LOL thats why ive not gotten anything for it yet.

but i would like to hook up my ipod to it soon.

i hate carrying 50000 cd's around. need to save weight.

itd be a good weight saving mod. lol
Back to top Go down
TouringBubble

TouringBubble

Male Number of posts : 1384
Drives : GG IX MR SE

PostSubject: Re: How to upgrade your speakers...   How to upgrade your speakers... EmptyTue Jul 10, 2007 4:16 pm

I never though of an iPod as weight reduction ... it makes sense though. If you go with a iPod controller that works with your headunit, I'd suggest not getting Sony. It's a chore to use. Katie's factory Pioneer in her Scion is much better with the iPod.
Back to top Go down
http://www.projecttuning.com/
JWRICH4

Male Number of posts : 256
Registration date : 2007-07-13

PostSubject: Re: How to upgrade your speakers...   How to upgrade your speakers... EmptySat Jul 14, 2007 11:12 pm

2007 is the year of the Ipod. Every head unit manufacturer released at least one unit with Ipod compatability. The CES was full of "NEW, IPOD COMPATABLE" signs.

All my songs are .WAV so it's not a bother for me.

Screw Apple!

Good Ju-Ju LayinLo.
Back to top Go down
bomjoon
Post-whore
bomjoon

PostSubject: Re: How to upgrade your speakers...   How to upgrade your speakers... EmptyMon Aug 27, 2007 5:34 pm

layin lo components... i want some...

which components will fit my car?

i checked crutchfield and it only showed me 1 in 6.5 " size...

which components you have trae?
Back to top Go down
LayinLo

LayinLo

PostSubject: Re: How to upgrade your speakers...   How to upgrade your speakers... EmptyMon Aug 27, 2007 6:37 pm

I have some JL Audio XR 6.5's.

If I was buying new, I'd go with Polk for a cheaper route or if I wanted to be a big spender, I'd go with Focal.

They have a nice tweeter and decent mid.

Almost any 6.5" will fit with a simple spacer ring to shrink the hole.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to upgrade your speakers...   How to upgrade your speakers... Empty

Back to top Go down

How to upgrade your speakers...
Page 1 of 1