s-evo.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

MR 6 Speed "issue"

Go down 
+2
TouringBubble
JWRICH4
6 posters
AuthorMessage
JWRICH4

Male Number of posts : 256
Registration date : 2007-07-13

MR 6 Speed "issue" Empty
PostSubject: MR 6 Speed "issue"   MR 6 Speed "issue" EmptySat Jul 14, 2007 10:50 am

Someone talk to me about this transmission please. My shifts from 1st to 2nd "graunch". If I granny shift with a pause between gears there is not a problem but it feels like the synchro is not turning fast enough to match the gears with a normal shift. I have yet to really run it up through the gears quickly because I was being gentle on the break in but I have over 3K miles now and it is still doing it.

I took it to Leman Mitsubishi in Miami @ just over 2K miles to have the windshield washers warrantied and asked them to drive it. They hemed and hawed around and had a mechanic ride with me while I drove but wouldn't drive it. They said the trans was still tight and I should put some more miles on it and it would be fine. The mechanic said the transmission on the IX MR had been improved over the previous 6 speed and all the "issues" it had have been fixed with the new one. The service writer said "don't sweat it, if something happens to the trans the car is under warranty and it will be fixed". I'm kinda leery of doing any mods to the car and the transmission breaks, I can see the fight now over whether the mods caused the breakage or it was a pre-existing condition

Anyway, I'm not going back to Lehman even though it is my closest dealer (162 miles) as for my money if a customer asks you to do something or believes there is a problem you should listen to them. I firmly believe in voting with my checkbook and I am going elsewhere. EvoGirlie was right, the dealers in So. Florida are crap!

So, anyone else have "issues" with their IX MR 6 speeds?
Back to top Go down
TouringBubble

TouringBubble

Male Number of posts : 1384
Drives : GG IX MR SE
Registration date : 2007-07-09

MR 6 Speed "issue" Empty
PostSubject: Re: MR 6 Speed "issue"   MR 6 Speed "issue" EmptySat Jul 14, 2007 11:01 am

I had trouble with 5th and 6th at first. Others had trouble with 1 and 2. The same sort of "crunchy" shifting. Mine was gone after about 5k and now it's super smooth.
Back to top Go down
http://www.projecttuning.com/
bomjoon
Post-whore
bomjoon

Male Number of posts : 1873
Drives : your car.

MR 6 Speed "issue" Empty
PostSubject: Re: MR 6 Speed "issue"   MR 6 Speed "issue" EmptySat Jul 14, 2007 12:03 pm

i never had a problem with the tranny on mine.

i put first 10k on the car like the first 2 monthes...

now im at 40k and still no problems.
Back to top Go down
JWRICH4

MR 6 Speed "issue" Empty
PostSubject: Re: MR 6 Speed "issue"   MR 6 Speed "issue" EmptySat Jul 14, 2007 5:19 pm

Alrighty then, thanks. I'll just drive the snot out of it then.
Back to top Go down
sabastian458

Number of posts : 856
Drives : 2003 Evolution
Registration date : 2007-07-10

MR 6 Speed "issue" Empty
PostSubject: Re: MR 6 Speed "issue"   MR 6 Speed "issue" EmptySun Jul 15, 2007 5:50 pm

try changing the fluid. if you are running the factory fluid, switch to either royal purple or my favorite 25w50 mobil1 fluid
Back to top Go down
JWRICH4

MR 6 Speed "issue" Empty
PostSubject: Re: MR 6 Speed "issue"   MR 6 Speed "issue" EmptyTue Jul 17, 2007 7:15 pm

sabastian458 wrote:
try changing the fluid. if you are running the factory fluid, switch to either royal purple or my favorite 25w50 mobil1 fluid

There was a discussion on Evo GA\\\SE couple of weeks ago and the prevailing message was do not mess with the fluids. The factory stuff works even if it's expensive. A lot of folks wrote of horror stories of people that had changed fluids to something other than OEM and had failures.
Back to top Go down
sabastian458

Number of posts : 856
Drives : 2003 Evolution
Registration date : 2007-07-10

MR 6 Speed "issue" Empty
PostSubject: Re: MR 6 Speed "issue"   MR 6 Speed "issue" EmptyTue Jul 17, 2007 7:24 pm

Ah yeah, I am blind and completly missed it. Try just replacing the fluid and seeing if that helps at all. most likely you are having syncro problems. opposed to what your dealer had said, I knew of a mr 6 spd that had syncro problems. things happen when it comes to mass produced parts, that is why most come with warranties Smile
Back to top Go down
sleepys4

Male Number of posts : 5
Drives : Audi S4
Registration date : 2007-07-25

MR 6 Speed "issue" Empty
PostSubject: Re: MR 6 Speed "issue"   MR 6 Speed "issue" EmptyWed Jul 25, 2007 1:40 pm

Its funny i was test driving a 06 MR at a dealer yesterday. I liked the color and the miles weren't bad. When i drove it, it was making a funny noise almost like the turbo blades were hitting something. When switching gears from 1st to 2nd it had a really bad crunch maybe i was changing gears to fast? I didn't know if thats how evo's are supposed to sound, it felt like the clutch was grabbing hard. I rode in a friends evo 8, it sounded similar not as loud. You can feel the rear diff or center diff like knock. Is this a common Prob?
Back to top Go down
bomjoon
Post-whore
bomjoon

MR 6 Speed "issue" Empty
PostSubject: Re: MR 6 Speed "issue"   MR 6 Speed "issue" EmptyWed Jul 25, 2007 2:13 pm

any knock is not common sound but if you release the clutch really fast it will make the clunking sound.
Back to top Go down
sleepys4

MR 6 Speed "issue" Empty
PostSubject: Re: MR 6 Speed "issue"   MR 6 Speed "issue" EmptyWed Jul 25, 2007 7:50 pm

Does this damage the tranny or synchro?
Back to top Go down
evoark

evoark

Male Number of posts : 138
Drives : 06 WW MR
Registration date : 2007-07-22

MR 6 Speed "issue" Empty
PostSubject: Re: MR 6 Speed "issue"   MR 6 Speed "issue" EmptyWed Jul 25, 2007 8:16 pm

I have around 5k on mine with no problem, I changed the 2 bushings under the rood though, and that helped alot
Back to top Go down
bomjoon
Post-whore
bomjoon

MR 6 Speed "issue" Empty
PostSubject: Re: MR 6 Speed "issue"   MR 6 Speed "issue" EmptyThu Jul 26, 2007 7:52 am

if you dont do that you wont damage nothing.

but tranny,transfer case will be the one to get damaged if you keep doing it.
Back to top Go down
sleepys4

MR 6 Speed "issue" Empty
PostSubject: Re: MR 6 Speed "issue"   MR 6 Speed "issue" EmptyThu Jul 26, 2007 10:12 pm

Thanks for the info!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

MR 6 Speed "issue" Empty
PostSubject: Re: MR 6 Speed "issue"   MR 6 Speed "issue" Empty

Back to top Go down

MR 6 Speed "issue"
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
s-evo.net :: Technical :: Drivetrain-
Jump to: