s-evo.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

In car valve spring replacement: coustey of sabastian458

Go down 
AuthorMessage
sabastian458

Number of posts : 856
Drives : 2003 Evolution
Registration date : 2007-07-10

In car valve spring replacement: coustey of sabastian458 Empty
PostSubject: In car valve spring replacement: coustey of sabastian458   In car valve spring replacement: coustey of sabastian458 EmptyTue Jul 10, 2007 5:42 pm

I wanted to try to replace my valve springs this weekend without taking the head off. I had bought several tools to do so, so far no luck. Then it dawned on me that last year when doing some research for my VR4, I stumbled on this thread URL Valve spring tool. I do believe that this information would benifit all of us here.

The only thing I would like to add is: When doing this install, it is a great idea to remove the spark plugs, and with the pistion bottom the bore, insert approx 3-4 feet of soft rope, or as much as you can easily fit (can be purchased at lowe's for 2 bucks) **leave 6-12 inches of the rope hanging out of the spark plug tube so you can remove the rope when done with the cylinder. Repeat inserting rope into each cylinder when done with the prior one. (DO NOT insert rope into more than 1 cylinder at a time)
The reasoning for the rope is to cause less stress on the rings than using compressed air and for those of us without an air compressor, a means in which to do this procedure.

***EDIT**** After doing this, I highly recomend having a second set of hands to ease with the install. Also, do not use the soft rope, use the medium stiff nylon rope but make sure you get enough in the cylinders.

***EDIT**** Do not think that using a longer bar will help like I did. In this procedure, there is not enough space to use a bar longer than 2 or so feet. COVER EVERYTHING with rags, I lost a keeper in the oil pan that cost me an additional 3 hours of work.
Back to top Go down

In car valve spring replacement: coustey of sabastian458
Page 1 of 1