s-evo.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Fuel regulator vs. Injectors ...

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
TouringBubble

TouringBubble

Male Number of posts : 1384
Drives : GG IX MR SE
Registration date : 2007-07-09

Fuel regulator vs. Injectors ... Empty
PostSubject: Fuel regulator vs. Injectors ...   Fuel regulator vs. Injectors ... EmptyTue Jan 22, 2008 4:35 pm

Alrighty ... here is what I'm considering ...

Fuel system upgrades for the Evo generally consist of the Walboro 255 and bigger injectors. Many people don't think about the FPR. Here is my thinking ...

Adding the Walboro can possibly overrun the stock regulator at high boost levels. The stock regulator operates at 43.5 psi (out of boost) as I understand. This 43.5 psi increases at a 1:1 ratio with boost. With the Walboro, that static pressure is increased to ~52 psi (as I understand) due to the increased flow form the pump.

Now, consider the stock regulator at ~52 psi under 22 psi boost ... that puts the fuel at ~74 psi, which is likely beyond it's capabilities (which I assume to be around 70 psi). When the stock FPR is overrun, the pressure no longer rises with the boost and the FPR becomes a bottleneck in the system.

On my car, I run ~26 psi at the low end of the rev band. That would put a stock FPR w/ Walboro at ~78 psi which is likely a bit outside of what the regulator can handle.

So, my thought is ... why not just upgrade the pump and FPR rather than injectors at the start? If you upgrade in that order, the bottleneck would be the injectors which are likely far from being maxed out with only the pressure increase.

Now, I know that a simply injector upgrade is only a little more expensive than the FPR upgrade and gives a larger overall increase of available fuel, but upgrading the FPR first should make for a much more reliable fuel system.

Thoughts?
Back to top Go down
http://www.projecttuning.com/
sabastian458

Number of posts : 856
Drives : 2003 Evolution
Registration date : 2007-07-10

PostSubject: Re: Fuel regulator vs. Injectors ...   Fuel regulator vs. Injectors ... EmptyTue Jan 22, 2008 5:49 pm

I havent heard of too much of the bottle neck thing. I had a gauge on my rail (when the car ran, hahaha) and I cant remember the exact psi at idle, but it wasnt 50psi, I wanna say it hovered about 35-43. I agree that the regulater needs to be replaced when doing a pump (but im lazy and havent done it yet)
Back to top Go down
JWRICH4

Male Number of posts : 256
Registration date : 2007-07-13

PostSubject: Re: Fuel regulator vs. Injectors ...   Fuel regulator vs. Injectors ... EmptyTue Jan 22, 2008 10:24 pm

Good plan of attack.

IMHO you should still check your injectors duty cycle after the pump & FPR install just to give you an idea of where / how close you are to maxing them out though.
Back to top Go down
TouringBubble

TouringBubble

PostSubject: Re: Fuel regulator vs. Injectors ...   Fuel regulator vs. Injectors ... EmptyTue Jan 22, 2008 11:02 pm

Well, just the pump will drop the IDC% by 12% to 14%. The FPR should add another 5% or so on top depending on the baseline setting.

I hit around 94% up top now with 19 psi and a ~11.2:1 mix. So, I would be roughly around 77% IDC max with the pump and FPR.

I plan to eventually upgrade to the Forge wastegate actuator, so that would bump up the boost up top a little and I would need that extra IDC%.
Back to top Go down
sabastian458

Number of posts : 856
Drives : 2003 Evolution
Registration date : 2007-07-10

PostSubject: Re: Fuel regulator vs. Injectors ...   Fuel regulator vs. Injectors ... EmptyWed Jan 23, 2008 9:02 am

I would never exced 85-90% duty cycle
Back to top Go down
TouringBubble

TouringBubble

PostSubject: Re: Fuel regulator vs. Injectors ...   Fuel regulator vs. Injectors ... EmptyWed Jan 23, 2008 9:14 am

And that's exactly why I'm looking to upgrade ...

Actually, the IDC calculation I'm using isn't exactly right. 100% calculated isn't technically 100% of IDC. around 112% calculated is really 100% IDC. So, my 94% is really around 88% or so IDC.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fuel regulator vs. Injectors ...   Fuel regulator vs. Injectors ... Empty

Back to top Go down

Fuel regulator vs. Injectors ...
Page 1 of 1